The main aim of the conference entitled “Projecting onto Teaching Young Learners” was to create a platform in which Young Learner specific issues, teacher training and education, learning and teaching dynamics are discussed.
IATEFL Young Learners& Teenagers SIG supported our event with their representative Dr Janice Bland, University of Paderborn. Our distinguished speakers Carol Read, the president of IATEFL Board of Trustees, Prof. Dr. Aydan Ersöz, the president of the Turkish teachers association (INGED) Prof. Dr. Birsen Tutunis, the coordinator of IATEFL TTEd SIG shared their insights and invited us to think about the latest teaching, training and assessment methodology in EFL for young learners.
The conference aimed to attract local and international teachers, teacher trainers and EFL practitioners whose expertise is mainly based on young learners in EFL.
Proposals for oral presentations, workshops, and poster presentations were done on the following themes:
1) School experience and the mentoring of student teachers
2) Alternative evaluation for young learners
3) Literacy and young learner foreign language teaching
4) The new 4+4+4 system and the new young learners program in Turkey
5) Drama and young learners
6) Teaching English to young learners through ICT materials
7) Parental involvement in teaching English to young learners
8) Pre-service and in-service young learners teacher training
We believe that this event provided an occasion for us to gain insights, leading to better understanding and appreciation of our profession.